My First Try with Puto


This is a long overdue post. :)

Puto is a Filipino food. It is a steamed rice cake, usually mixed with coconut milk. There are other puto variations like ube and pandan flavor.

I've been craving for puto and been wanting to make puto for a long time. Since I do not have an oven yet, I'm stuck with no-bake or steamed food. And since puto is steamed, and not baked, I wanted to give it a try.

I made these puto after making some leche flan for a friend's birthday party. I have too much egg whites and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I searched for puto recipes and decided to make some.

I found a puto recipe that uses egg whites and a bit of all-purpose flour. Very simple and easy.

Unfortunately, I only have sliced cheese in my fridge. So despite the fact that the puto will definitely taste different because of the cheese, plus it will surely melt differently, I still used the sliced cheese.
When the puto were done, it looked perfect! The look and the texture... puto! But the taste was a bit disappointing. Actually from the smell I already guessed that they won't taste like puto. They tasted like egg whites hihihi!

Despite that, I'm still happy I was able to give it a try. :) The search is on for the next puto recipe. Next time I'll try using rice flour. :)

1 comments:

Pie June 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Hopping in to wish you a terrific weekend. :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP