Chocolate Tiramisu - The First Attempt

We had a little get-together at home last Saturday to celebrate our birthday (my birthday and hubby's birthday is just 4 days apart :D).

I decided to make another dessert, other than the usual leche flan that our friends normally request. Since I still have no oven, I settled for something that needs no baking yet challenging. So I decided to make chocolate tiramisu.


I shopped for the ingredients a week before because my in-laws will be arriving that weekend, and I wouldn't have the time to shop for myself after they arrive. I got my ladyfingers, my chocolate, my cream, my mascarpone cheese. The only ingredient missing were the eggs, which I bought the day before I started making the tiramisu.

I started making the crème chocolat Thursday night, because it has to be chilled before I can layer it to the tiramisu. The crème chocolat was perfect, despite the fact that I only used Hershey's chocolate chips. :D Not too sweet and not too bitter. Left it in the fridge overnight to chill. Friday night I made the mascarpone cream (made of mascarpone cheese and the eggs). First look at the mascarpone cream and I knew it's not right. Didn't get stiff enough... too runny... huhuhu.

Since it's already there, I decided to continue with it and layer my tiramisu. I layered my ladyfingers dipped in strong coffee (didn't bother mixing any alcohol to it), then the crème chocolat, lastly my liquid mascarpone cream. Chilled it overnight, hoping for some miracle to happen and make the mascarpone cream perfect.

The next day, Saturday, I tried a spoonful of the tiramisu after eating lunch. As soon as I took out the spoon, the liquid mascarpone cream filled the hole I made. So sad with what happenned... I served it anyway. It tastes good... it just didn't look good.


Hubby told me to just try again. I still have a few ladyfingers, half of the mascarpone cheese and some chocolate chips. :D I'll try something different with the mascarpone cream next time. Wish me luck with my second attempt!

8 comments:

jeng June 23, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Good luck on your next attempt ; ) It doesn't look so bad, and at least it tastes good. ; )

janis June 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

thanks jeng! hopefully sa next attempt ko success na hihihi!

Anonymous,  June 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

I'm not sure I would have tried it once! Hope your next experience is what you want it to be.

janis June 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

Hi Jayne,
i do hope the next one's better. thanks for the visit!

Tammigirl June 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

My tiramisu is a never fail for me and here is how I do the mascarpone whip:

• In a large mixing bowl, combine mascarpone, sugar and egg and blend with electric mixer on low for 4 to 5 minutes, until creamy.


• In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until they peak.


• Combine the two mixtures, add the chocolate shavings and blend for 2 minutes.

I will make some soon since this is summer and put the whole recipe on my blog.

janis June 27, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

Tammigirl
thank you for sharing this!!! will try this next time :)

Debbie June 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

It is so frustrating when something doesn't work out!
Dropped by from SITS.

janis June 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

Hi Debbie,
it really is... especially when what you made is something you worked hard on.
Well as they say, try & try until you succeed.
Thanks for visiting!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP