Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

One of my favorite chocolate candies is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I started liking it when I was in high school. Reese's was not available in groceries and supermarkets, so I'd ask a favor to anyone who goes to the US to buy me some. :)

So I made some, and... here's the final product! :)

After attending the Ultimate Chocolate Treats I class from Shermay's Cooking School and learned how to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares, I was excited! I wanted to make some chocolate peanut butter squares! But there were a lot of factors that stopped me...

  • The main reason is that I don't want to buy lots of stuffs/ingredients when I'm doing it the first time.
  • I only have Hershey's chocolate chips. I told myself that if I'll use Chef Joycelyn's recipe then I must use Valrhona.
  • I have butter at home and it's not unsalted butter.
  • The recipe uses the Metric system (in grams). I have a weighing scale, but it's not accurate & reliable.
  • I have creamy peanut butter, but it's sweet & creamy, so the taste would definitely be sweeter than expected.

So I searched for a different recipe, and I found one by Nigella Lawson. The recipe is in her book How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking. I also found another recipe shared by Nigella Lawson in Good Morning America. It's the same as the one in the book, the difference is the measurements used are in US system of measurement. :)

Since this is just my first try, I don't want my ingredients to go to waste so I only made half (plus I don't have that much chocolate chips hihihi). I used a 5.5in x 5in plastic container with the inside wrapped with foil.

My plastic container

I left the whole thing in the fridge overnight (just to make sure). But seriously... that night, I can't sleep because I was so excited to open it and see if it turned out OK. When I opened the container... perfect!



As you can see, I placed some peanuts on one half, and none on the other, just to try out the difference of plain vs. crunchy and also to have a variation of having that extra peanut taste.

cut in half


Lloyd's not a fan of the combination of chocolate & peanut butter, but he tried some (the ones without nuts. He hates crunchy!), and he said it was good. :)

If you love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, then you should definitely try this out. Next time, I'll buy some Valrhona and make these using Chef Joycelyn's recipe. :D

5 comments:

jeng May 30, 2009 at 1:22 AM  

I love anything with chocolate and peanut butter ; ) This looks really yummy.

janis May 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

hi jeng.
oh yes it was yummy! i ate most of it hihihi!

i♥pinkc00kies July 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

yummmmmm!! i love peanut butter and chocolates... :D comfort food!!

janis July 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

♡u8mypinkc00kies♡
i agree! it is the perfect comfodt food. thanks for the visit :)

Unknown December 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

hi there! yours came out beautifully. Everytime I try to cut mine, I get cracked chocolate and a smooshy mess of peanut butter -- chocolate is too hard to cut, and peanut butter gets too warm and smooshes -- any advice?

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP